CCleaner is a system optimization and cleaning tool that was created by Piriform in 2004 and acquired by Avast in 2017. It is available for Windows, Mac, and Android devices, and has been downloaded over 2.5 billion times. CCleaner is designed to remove unwanted files, cookies, caches, history, and other junk from your computer or mobile device, allowing it to run faster, more efficiently, and more securely. It also offers features such as software updater, driver updater, registry cleaner, duplicate file finder, startup manager, uninstaller, and more.
Many people use CCleaner because they want to improve their PC’s performance, security, and privacy. They also want to free up disk space and get rid of clutter that can slow down their system or cause errors. CCleaner is easy to use and has a simple interface that lets you choose what to clean and what to keep. You can also customize the settings to suit your needs and preferences.
Benefits of CCleaner
CCleaner has many benefits that can make your PC experience better. Here are some of them:
How CCleaner can improve your PC’s performance, security, and privacy
- CCleaner can speed up your PC by removing temporary files, logs, caches, and other unnecessary data that can clog up your system and slow it down. It can also optimize your system settings to make it run more smoothly.
- CCleaner can protect your PC from malware and hackers by deleting browsing history, cookies, passwords, and other sensitive information that can be used to track you or compromise your accounts. It can also scan for outdated software that can pose security risks and update them automatically.
- CCleaner can enhance your PC’s privacy by deleting traces of your online activity and personal data that can be accessed by third parties or advertisers. It can also prevent online tracking by blocking ads and trackers that collect your data.
How CCleaner can save you disk space and help you manage your apps
- CCleaner can free up disk space by deleting unused files, emptying the recycle bin, compressing old files, and removing duplicate files. It can also analyze your disk usage and show you how much space each file or folder takes up.
- CCleaner can help you manage your apps by letting you see which ones are installed on your PC, how often you use them, how much space they take up, and how they affect your system performance. You can also uninstall unwanted apps or disable them from running at startup.
How CCleaner can be customized to suit your needs and preferences
- CCleaner can be customized to suit your needs and preferences by letting you choose what to clean and what to keep. You can select which categories of files to clean and what to exclude, such as cookies, history, downloads, recycle bin, etc. You can also specify which apps or browsers to clean and which to ignore.
- CCleaner can be customized to suit your preferences by letting you change the appearance and behavior of the program. You can choose the language, theme, font size, and notifications of CCleaner. You can also schedule automatic cleaning, enable smart cleaning, and create custom cleaning rules.
Risks of CCleaner
CCleaner is not without its risks and drawbacks. Here are some of them:
How CCleaner was hacked in 2017 and 2019 and what it means for users
- In 2017, CCleaner was hacked by an unknown group of attackers who inserted a malicious code into the program that infected millions of users with malware. The malware was designed to collect information from the infected computers and send it to a remote server. The hackers also targeted specific tech companies such as Google, Microsoft, Cisco, and Intel by installing a second-stage payload that allowed them to access their networks.
- In 2019, CCleaner was hacked again by another group of attackers who compromised the program’s update server and distributed a modified version of CCleaner that contained a backdoor. The backdoor could allow the hackers to execute commands on the infected computers and install additional malware.
- These incidents raise serious concerns about the security and trustworthiness of CCleaner and its owner Avast. Users who downloaded or updated CCleaner during these periods may have been exposed to malware and data theft. Users who still use CCleaner should make sure they have the latest version that is free of malware and check their systems for any signs of infection.
How CCleaner can delete important files or cause system errors if used incorrectly
- CCleaner can delete important files or cause system errors if used incorrectly or carelessly. For example, if you use the registry cleaner feature without backing up your registry first, you may end up deleting valid entries that are essential for your system or applications to function properly. This can result in system crashes, errors, or performance issues.
- CCleaner can also delete files that you may need or want to keep, such as documents, photos, videos, music, etc. If you do not review the list of files that CCleaner is going to delete before confirming the action, you may lose some valuable data that cannot be recovered.
- Therefore, it is important to use CCleaner with caution and discretion. You should always backup your registry before using the registry cleaner feature and review the list of files that CCleaner is going to delete before proceeding. You should also avoid using CCleaner on system files or folders that are critical for your system or applications to work properly.