Where to Buy Black Pipe for Your Plumbing Needs
Black pipe, also known as black steel pipe or black iron pipe, is a type of pipe that is commonly used for low-pressure applications such as gas, oil, steam and water. Black pipe has a dark color due to the iron oxide coating that protects it from corrosion. Black pipe is not suitable for potable water systems because it can leach harmful substances into the water.
If you are looking for black pipe for your plumbing needs, you have several options to choose from. Here are some of the places where you can buy black pipe and fittings:
- Lowe’s: Lowe’s offers a wide variety of black pipes and fittings in different sizes and shapes. You can find black pipe nipples, flanges, elbows, couplings and more at Lowe’s. You can also order online and pick up in store or have them delivered to your home. Lowe’s black pipe products are rated at maximum 300 psi at 150Â°F or 150 psi at 300Â°F and are pressure tested at the factory.
- The Home Depot: The Home Depot also has a large selection of black pipes and fittings for sale. You can find black pipe in lengths of 10 ft., 4 ft., 2 ft. and 1.5 ft., as well as cut pipe in various lengths. You can also find black pipe fittings such as flanges, elbows, tees and unions at The Home Depot. The Home Depot’s black pipe products are generally used for lubricant, oil, grease, liquefied petroleum (LP) gas, natural gases (nitrogen, oxygen, etc.), steam and diesel.
- McMaster-Carr: McMaster-Carr is an online supplier of industrial products that ships worldwide. You can find black iron pipe and fittings at McMaster-Carr in standard-wall (Schedule 40) and thick-wall (Schedule 80) varieties. You can also find black iron pipe nipples and pipe assortments in different lengths and diameters. McMaster-Carr’s black iron pipe products are designed for low-pressure applications.
These are some of the places where you can buy black pipe for your plumbing needs. Before you buy, make sure you check the specifications and ratings of the products to ensure they meet your requirements. Also, remember to follow the proper installation and safety guidelines when working with black pipe.
Black pipe is a versatile and durable material that can be used for various plumbing projects. However, there are some advantages and disadvantages of using black pipe that you should be aware of before you buy.
Some of the advantages of using black pipe are:
- Cost-effective: Black pipe is relatively cheaper than other types of pipes such as copper, brass or stainless steel. You can save money by using black pipe for your plumbing needs.
- Easy to install: Black pipe is easy to cut, thread and join with fittings. You can use simple tools such as a pipe cutter, a pipe wrench and a pipe threader to install black pipe. You can also bend black pipe to fit around corners and obstacles.
- Strong and durable: Black pipe is made of steel, which is a strong and durable material that can withstand high pressure and temperature. Black pipe also has a protective coating that prevents rust and corrosion. Black pipe can last for decades if properly maintained.
Some of the disadvantages of using black pipe are:
- Not for potable water: Black pipe is not suitable for potable water systems because it can leach harmful substances into the water. These substances can include iron, lead, zinc and other metals that can affect the taste, color and quality of the water. Black pipe can also harbor bacteria and fungi that can cause health problems.
- Prone to leaks: Black pipe is prone to leaks due to the expansion and contraction of the metal caused by temperature changes. Leaks can also occur due to improper installation, faulty fittings or damage to the pipe. Leaks can cause water damage, mold growth and fire hazards.
- Requires maintenance: Black pipe requires regular maintenance to prevent leaks, rust and corrosion. You need to inspect the pipe for signs of damage or wear and tear. You also need to clean the pipe with a wire brush and apply a protective coating such as paint or oil to prevent rusting.
These are some of the advantages and disadvantages of using black pipe for your plumbing needs. You should weigh the pros and cons of using black pipe before you buy. You should also consult a professional plumber if you have any questions or concerns about using black pipe.