Merlina: The Dark Comedy Series That Revives the Addams Family
Merlina is a new Netflix series that follows the adventures of Merlina Addams, the teenage daughter of Gomez and Morticia Addams, as she tries to fit in at a new school and unravel the mysteries of her family’s past. The series is based on the iconic characters created by Charles Addams, and features a star-studded cast that includes Christina Ricci as Morticia, Jenna Ortega as Merlina, Gwendoline Christie as Lady Josephine, and Riki Lindhome as Aunt Zelda.
In the fourth episode of the first season, titled “It’s a Shame”, Merlina asks Xavier, a popular boy at school, to accompany her to the Rave’N dance, which sparks jealousy from Tyler, her former crush. Meanwhile, Cosa, the Addams’ sentient hand, has a trick up its sleeve to help Merlina. Elsewhere, Eugene, Merlina’s nerdy friend, keeps an eye on the cave where the Addams keep their secrets.
The episode is full of dark humor, suspense, and surprises, as Merlina faces new challenges and discovers new aspects of her family’s legacy. Fans of the Addams Family will enjoy the references and homages to the original comics, movies, and TV shows, while newcomers will be entertained by the witty dialogue, quirky characters, and twisted plot twists.
Merlina is a must-watch series for anyone who loves comedy, mystery, fantasy, and sci-fi genres. The series has received positive reviews from critics and audiences alike, who praise its originality, style, and performances. The first season consists of eight episodes, each lasting about 45 minutes. All episodes are available to stream on Netflix since November 23rd, 2022.
Here are some of the highlights of the fourth episode of Merlina:
- Merlina and Xavier share a romantic moment at the dance, but their kiss is interrupted by Tyler, who tries to fight Xavier. Cosa intervenes and knocks out Tyler with a punch.
- Lady Josephine, the mysterious woman who claims to be Merlina’s grandmother, shows up at the Addams mansion and reveals her true intentions: she wants to take Merlina away from her parents and train her to become the next leader of the Addams clan.
- Eugene discovers a hidden passage in the cave that leads to a secret laboratory, where he finds a strange device that seems to be connected to the Addams’ history. He activates it and unleashes a powerful energy that causes a blackout in the whole town.
- Morticia and Gomez have a flashback to their wedding day, where they exchanged vows in a cemetery and were attacked by a horde of zombies. They managed to escape with the help of Uncle Fester, who used his dynamite to blow up the undead.
- The episode ends with a cliffhanger, as Merlina is kidnapped by Lady Josephine and her henchmen, who drive away in a hearse. Merlina’s parents and friends are left in shock and worry about her fate.
Merlina is a series that combines comedy, mystery, fantasy, and sci-fi elements in a unique and captivating way. The series pays tribute to the Addams Family legacy, while also adding new twists and characters to the story. The series explores themes such as family, identity, love, friendship, and adventure, with a dark and humorous tone.
The series is created by Tim Burton, who also serves as an executive producer and director of some episodes. Burton is known for his distinctive style and vision, which can be seen in films such as Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and Corpse Bride. Burton brings his signature touch to Merlina, creating a visually stunning and atmospheric world that blends Gothic and modern elements.
The series also boasts an impressive cast of actors who bring the Addams Family to life. Christina Ricci, who played Merlina in the 1991 and 1993 movies, returns as Morticia, the elegant and mysterious matriarch of the family. Jenna Ortega, who starred in You and Yes Day, plays Merlina, the rebellious and curious protagonist of the series. Gwendoline Christie, who played Brienne of Tarth in Game of Thrones, plays Lady Josephine, the formidable and mysterious grandmother of Merlina. Riki Lindhome, who is part of the comedy duo Garfunkel and Oates, plays Aunt Zelda, the eccentric and cheerful aunt of Merlina.