How to Install and Use the Ef 232 Parallel Port Driver 31
The Ef 232 Parallel Port Driver 31 is a Windows driver that allows you to communicate with devices that use the parallel port interface, such as printers, scanners, and external hard drives. The driver is based on the C language and supports various operating systems, including Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows 7. In this article, we will show you how to download, install, and use the Ef 232 Parallel Port Driver 31.
Download the Ef 232 Parallel Port Driver 31
The first step is to download the Ef 232 Parallel Port Driver 31 from the official website of the manufacturer. The website provides a link to download the driver as a ZIP file that contains the executable file and the user manual. You can also find the link to download the driver in some online sources, such as LexCliq[^1^] or Wixsite[^2^]. However, make sure that you download the driver from a trusted and secure source to avoid any malware or virus infection.
Install the Ef 232 Parallel Port Driver 31
After downloading the ZIP file, you need to extract it to a folder on your computer. Then, you need to run the executable file as an administrator to start the installation process. The installation wizard will guide you through the steps to install the driver on your computer. You may need to restart your computer after the installation is complete.
Use the Ef 232 Parallel Port Driver 31
Once you have installed the driver, you can use it to communicate with your parallel port devices. To do so, you need to connect your device to your computer using a parallel port cable. Then, you need to open the device manager on your computer and check if your device is recognized by the system. If not, you may need to update or reinstall the driver manually. You can also use some software tools to test and debug your parallel port communication, such as TIO[^3^] or Digi XX232-C8xx[^4^]. These tools can help you send and receive data through the parallel port and monitor the status of the port.
The Ef 232 Parallel Port Driver 31 is a useful driver that enables you to use your parallel port devices on your Windows computer. The driver is easy to download, install, and use. However, you should always make sure that you download the driver from a reliable source and keep it updated to avoid any compatibility or performance issues.
Benefits of Parallel Port Devices
Parallel port devices have some advantages over other types of devices that use serial communication, such as USB or Ethernet. Some of these benefits are:
- Parallel port devices are relatively simple and cheap to build and interface. They do not require high integration ICs or complex protocols to communicate with the computer. For example, a Covox Speech Thing was a device that could produce sound by connecting to the parallel port with a simple resistor network[^1^].
- Parallel port devices can transfer data faster than some serial devices, especially those that use UART (COM port) technology. The parallel port can send several bits at the same time, while the serial port can only send one bit at a time. The parallel port can achieve data transfer speeds of up to 2.5 MB/s with ECP mode, while the serial port can only reach up to 115.2 kbps with standard UART[^2^].
- Parallel port devices can support multiple devices on the same port with daisy-chaining or switch boxes. This allows the user to connect more than one device to the computer without using additional ports or adapters. For example, a printer and a scanner can share the same parallel port with a switch box that allows the user to select which device to use[^3^].
Disadvantages of Parallel Port Devices
However, parallel port devices also have some drawbacks that make them less popular and compatible with modern computers and peripherals. Some of these disadvantages are:
- Parallel port devices require expensive and bulky cables that have multiple wires and connectors. The cables are also limited in length, usually up to 15 feet, because of signal degradation and interference issues. The cables can also be easily damaged or disconnected by physical stress or movement[^4^].
- Parallel port devices consume more CPU resources and memory than serial devices, because they do not have built-in buffers or controllers that handle the data transfer. The CPU has to constantly monitor and control the status of the parallel port and its devices, which can affect the performance of other tasks on the computer[^5^].
- Parallel port devices are outdated and obsolete in most modern computers and peripherals, because they have been replaced by faster and more versatile serial technologies, such as USB and Ethernet. These technologies offer plug-and-play functionality, hot-swapping capability, power supply, and higher data transfer speeds than parallel ports. Most new computers do not have parallel ports anymore, and most new peripherals do not support parallel communication anymore[^6^].
The Ef 232 Parallel Port Driver 31 is a useful driver that enables you to use your parallel port devices on your Windows computer. The driver is easy to download, install, and use. However, you should always make sure that you download the driver from a reliable source and keep it updated to avoid any compatibility or performance issues. You should also be aware of the benefits and disadvantages of parallel port devices compared to other types of devices that use serial communication.