How to Edit Your RPG Maker Save Files
If you are a fan of RPG Maker games, you might have wondered how to edit your save files to change some aspects of the game, such as your character’s stats, inventory, or location. Editing your save files can be useful for debugging, testing, or cheating purposes, but it can also be risky if you don’t know what you are doing. In this article, we will show you how to edit your RPG Maker save files safely and easily using a free tool called RPG Maker Save Editor.
What is RPG Maker Save Editor?
RPG Maker Save Editor is a web-based application that allows you to view and modify the data stored in your RPG Maker save files. It supports most versions of RPG Maker, from 2000 to MV. It can also handle encrypted save files from some games. You can use it to edit various aspects of your game, such as:
- Your character’s name, level, class, skills, equipment, and status.
- Your party members and their attributes.
- Your inventory items and their quantities.
- Your gold and variables.
- Your switches and self switches.
- Your map location and events.
- Your system settings and options.
RPG Maker Save Editor is easy to use and has a user-friendly interface. You can access it from any browser and device. You don’t need to download or install anything. You just need to upload your save file and start editing. You can also download your edited save file and replace the original one in your game folder.
How to Use RPG Maker Save Editor?
To use RPG Maker Save Editor, follow these steps:
- Go to https://www.rpgmakerweb.com/save-editor.
- Click on the “Choose File” button and select your save file from your computer. Your save file should be named “SaveXX.rvdata2” or “SaveXX.lsd” depending on the version of RPG Maker you are using. You can find it in the “www/save” or “Save” folder of your game directory.
- Wait for the save file to load. You will see a list of tabs on the left side of the screen. Each tab corresponds to a different category of data that you can edit.
- Select the tab that you want to edit. For example, if you want to edit your character’s name, select the “Actor” tab and then click on the name field. You can type in a new name or choose from a list of preset names.
- Make any changes that you want. You can use the buttons on the bottom of the screen to undo, redo, reset, or apply your changes.
- When you are done editing, click on the “Download” button on the top right corner of the screen. You will be prompted to save your edited save file on your computer.
- Replace your original save file with the edited one in your game folder. Make sure to back up your original save file before doing this in case something goes wrong.
- Launch your game and load your edited save file. Enjoy!
Caution and Disclaimer
Editing your save files can be fun and useful, but it can also cause problems if you are not careful. Here are some things to keep in mind when using RPG Maker Save Editor:
- Always back up your original save file before editing it. If you make a mistake or encounter a bug, you can restore your original save file and avoid losing your progress.
- Do not edit values that you don’t understand or that are not supported by the editor. This can cause errors or glitches in your game that might prevent it from running properly or corrupt your data.
- Do not edit values that are related to the game’s logic or story. This can break the game’s flow or trigger unintended consequences that might ruin your experience or spoil the plot.
- Do not edit values that are meant to be hidden or locked by the game developer. This can violate the game’s design or balance and make it too easy or too hard for you.
- Do not use RPG Maker Save Editor for malicious purposes or to cheat in online games