How to Download and Use HP DMI Tool 4.0
HP DMI Tool is a utility that allows you to program or update the system information (such as product name, serial number, SKU, etc.) on the motherboard of HP laptops. This can be useful if you have replaced the motherboard or need to fix the “Product Information Not Valid” error that sometimes occurs on HP laptops.
In this article, we will show you how to download and use HP DMI Tool 4.0, which is the latest version of the utility that supports most of the HP laptop models.
Step 1: Download HP DMI Tool 4.0
You can download HP DMI Tool 4.0 from this link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Z3JlZj8xLx7wFQ6nYmRd5JQX9X7f9D6z
This is a Google Drive folder that contains several files and folders. You will need to download the following files:
- HPBQ193.exe: This is the main executable file of HP DMI Tool 4.0.
- HPBQ193.zip: This is a compressed file that contains the files needed to create a bootable USB drive with HP DMI Tool 4.0.
- HPSET14B.exe: This is an optional file that allows you to set the feature byte and build ID on some HP laptop models.
Step 2: Create a Bootable USB Drive with HP DMI Tool 4.0
You will need a USB drive with at least 4 GB of storage space to create a bootable USB drive with HP DMI Tool 4.0. Follow these steps to create one:
- Insert the USB drive into your computer and format it as FAT or FAT32.
- Extract the contents of HPBQ193.zip to the root directory of the USB drive.
- Rename the file HPBQ193.exe to HPBQ138.exe and copy it to the root directory of the USB drive.
- Eject the USB drive safely from your computer.
Step 3: Boot from the USB Drive and Run HP DMI Tool 4.0
Now you are ready to boot from the USB drive and run HP DMI Tool 4.0 on your HP laptop. Follow these steps to do so:
- Turn off your HP laptop and plug in the AC adapter.
- Insert the USB drive into your HP laptop and turn it on.
- Press F9 or ESC repeatedly during startup to enter the boot menu.
- Select the USB drive as the boot device and press Enter.
- You will see a DOS prompt with a message “Press any key to continue”. Press any key.
- You will see a menu with several options. Select “DMI Tools” and press Enter.
- You will see another menu with several options. Select “NBDMIFIT” and press Enter.
- You will see a message “Please wait while NBDMIFIT is loading”. Wait for a few seconds.
- You will see a window with several tabs. Select the “System IDs” tab.
- You will see several fields with system information. You can edit any of them as needed. For example, you can enter your product name, serial number, SKU, etc.
- When you are done editing, click on “Write” at the bottom right corner of the window.
- You will see a message “Writing System IDs…”. Wait for a few seconds.
- You will see a message “System IDs written successfully”. Click on “OK”.
- Click on “Exit” at the bottom right corner of the window.
- You will see a message “Do you want to reboot?”. Click on “Yes”.