Buying a Used Fur Coat: What You Need to Know
Fur coats are timeless pieces of fashion that can add elegance and warmth to any outfit. However, buying a new fur coat can be very expensive, and not everyone can afford it. That’s why many people opt for buying a used fur coat instead. But how do you know if you are getting a good deal on a pre-owned fur? What are the things you need to look for when shopping for a used fur coat? Here are some tips and advice to help you make an informed decision.
Benefits of Buying a Used Fur Coat
There are many benefits of buying a used fur coat over a new one. Some of them are:
- You can save money. A used fur coat can cost anywhere from 50% to 90% less than a new one, depending on the condition, quality, and type of fur. You can find some great bargains on online platforms like Etsy or Furs by Chrys, or at local consignment shops or estate sales.
- You can reduce waste. Buying a used fur coat is an eco-friendly choice, as you are giving new life to an existing garment and preventing it from ending up in a landfill. Fur is a natural and biodegradable material that can last for decades if properly cared for.
- You can enjoy variety. A used fur coat can offer you more options in terms of style, color, and size. You can find vintage fur coats that have unique designs and details that are hard to find in modern furs. You can also find rare or exotic types of fur that are no longer available or ethical to produce.
Things to Consider When Buying a Used Fur Coat
While buying a used fur coat has many advantages, it also comes with some risks and challenges. Here are some things you need to consider before making a purchase:
- The condition of the fur. You want to make sure that the fur is in good shape and has no signs of damage, such as tears, stains, bald spots, shedding, or odor. You also want to check the lining, seams, buttons, and hooks for any wear and tear. You can inspect the fur by touching it, smelling it, and looking at it closely under natural light.
- The quality of the fur. You want to buy a fur coat that is made of high-quality fur that is soft, shiny, and dense. You also want to avoid furs that have been dyed, bleached, or treated with chemicals that can affect their appearance and durability. You can identify the quality of the fur by checking the label, asking the seller, or consulting an expert.
- The type of the fur. You want to buy a fur coat that suits your personal taste, style, and budget. There are many types of fur available on the market, such as mink, fox, rabbit, coyote, beaver, raccoon, etc. Each type of fur has its own characteristics, such as color, texture, length, weight, and warmth. You can learn more about different types of fur by doing some research online or visiting a reputable furrier.
- The size of the fur coat. You want to buy a fur coat that fits you well and flatters your body shape. Fur coats tend to run smaller than regular coats, so you may need to size up when buying a used one. You can measure yourself and compare your measurements with the seller’s description or ask for more photos or details if needed.
How to Care for Your Used Fur Coat
Once you have bought your used fur coat, you need to take good care of it to maintain its beauty and longevity. Here are some tips on how to care for your used fur coat:
- Store it properly. You should store your fur coat in a cool, dry, and dark place away from heat, moisture, sunlight, and insects. You should also avoid hanging it in a crowded closet or using plastic bags or mothballs that can damage the fur.
- Clean it regularly. You should have your fur coat professionally cleaned at least once a year by a certified fur cleaner who can remove dirt, dust, oils,