Buy Solar Tubes Online: A Guide to Brighten Up Your Home
Solar tubes, also known as tubular skylights, sun tubes or solar pipes, are devices that capture natural sunlight and deliver it to dark or windowless areas of your home. They are a great way to add natural light to any room without the hassle and expense of installing traditional skylights. Solar tubes can also help you save energy and reduce your electricity bills by reducing the need for artificial lighting.
But how do you buy solar tubes online? What are the factors to consider before making a purchase? And where can you find the best deals and quality products? In this article, we will answer these questions and more, so you can make an informed decision and enjoy the benefits of solar tubes in your home.
What are solar tubes and how do they work?
Solar tubes are cylindrical devices that consist of three main components: a dome, a tube and a diffuser. The dome is installed on the roof and collects sunlight from different angles. The tube is a reflective pipe that transfers the sunlight from the dome to the diffuser. The diffuser is a fixture that spreads the sunlight evenly in the room.
Solar tubes work by using the principle of total internal reflection, which means that the light rays bounce inside the tube without losing brightness or intensity. The tube can be bent or angled to fit different roof shapes and avoid obstacles. The diffuser can also be customized with different shapes, sizes and colors to match your dÃ©cor and preferences.
What are the benefits of solar tubes?
Solar tubes have many advantages over traditional skylights and artificial lighting. Some of them are:
- They are easy to install and require minimal structural changes. They can be installed in a few hours by a professional or a handy homeowner.
- They are affordable and cost-effective. They are cheaper than skylights and can pay for themselves in a few years by saving energy.
- They are eco-friendly and reduce your carbon footprint. They use renewable energy and do not emit any greenhouse gases or pollutants.
- They are versatile and adaptable. They can be used in any room, such as bathrooms, kitchens, closets, hallways, basements, etc. They can also be installed on any roof type, such as asphalt shingles, metal, tile, etc.
- They are durable and low-maintenance. They are resistant to weather, UV rays, moisture and insects. They do not leak, crack or fade over time. They only need occasional cleaning to remove dust or debris.
- They are aesthetically pleasing and improve your mood. They provide natural light that is bright, clear and soft. They enhance the colors and textures of your interior design. They also boost your health and well-being by regulating your circadian rhythm, improving your sleep quality, increasing your vitamin D levels, reducing your stress and depression, etc.
What are the factors to consider when buying solar tubes online?
Before you buy solar tubes online, you need to consider some factors that will affect your choice and satisfaction. Some of them are:
- The size of the solar tube. The size of the solar tube determines how much light it can deliver to your room. The size is measured by the diameter of the tube, which can range from 10 inches to 21 inches. Generally, the larger the tube, the brighter the light. However, you also need to consider the size of your room and the amount of light you need. For example, a 10-inch tube can illuminate up to 150 square feet of space, while a 21-inch tube can illuminate up to 600 square feet.
- The length of the tube. The length of the tube affects how much light is lost during transmission. The longer the tube, the more light is lost due to reflection and absorption. Therefore, you want to keep the tube as short as possible to maximize its efficiency. Ideally, you want to have less than 14 feet of tubing between the dome and the diffuser.
- The shape of the tube. The shape of the tube affects how well it can bend or angle around obstacles or corners. There are two main shapes of tubes: rigid and flexible. Rigid tubes are straight pipes that have high reflectivity but low flexibility. They are suitable for direct routes