How to Choose the Best Water to Buy
Water is essential for life, but not all water is created equal. There are many types of bottled water on the market, each with its own benefits and drawbacks. How do you know which one is the best for you?
In this article, we will compare some of the most popular bottled water brands and their products, based on factors such as taste, purity, pH, mineral content, source, and environmental impact. We will also give you some tips on how to find the best water to buy for your needs and preferences.
What are the different types of bottled water?
Bottled water can be classified into several categories, depending on how it is processed and where it comes from. Some of the most common types are:
- Spring water: This is water that comes from a natural underground source and flows to the surface. Spring water may contain minerals and other substances that give it a distinctive taste and quality. Spring water is usually filtered and disinfected before bottling, but it may still retain some of its original characteristics.
- Mineral water: This is water that contains at least 250 parts per million (ppm) of dissolved minerals and trace elements, such as calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, iron, zinc, and others. Mineral water may come from a spring or a well, but it must maintain its mineral composition and purity throughout the bottling process. Mineral water may have health benefits due to its mineral content, but it may also have a strong or bitter taste.
- Purified water: This is water that has been treated by various methods to remove impurities, such as reverse osmosis, distillation, deionization, carbon filtration, ultraviolet disinfection, and others. Purified water may come from any source, including tap water, but it must meet certain standards of purity and quality set by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), or the International Bottled Water Association (IBWA). Purified water may have a neutral or bland taste, but it may also lack some beneficial minerals and electrolytes.
- Alkaline water: This is water that has a pH level higher than 7, which means it is less acidic than regular water. Alkaline water may be naturally occurring or artificially enhanced by adding minerals or electrolytes. Alkaline water may have health benefits due to its antioxidant properties and its ability to neutralize acidity in the body, but it may also have side effects such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or alkalosis.
What are some of the best bottled water brands and products?
There are hundreds of bottled water brands and products available in the market, each with its own claims and features. However, not all of them are equally good for you. Here are some of the best bottled water brands and products that we recommend based on our research:
- Best overall: Penta Ultra Purified Water . Penta is super-pure and tastes great. It is purified by a 13-step process that removes more than 99.9% of impurities, including metals, chlorine, fluoride, bacteria, viruses, pharmaceuticals, pesticides, and other contaminants. It also undergoes a patented oxygen infusion process that enhances its freshness and hydration. Penta has a pH level of 7.4 and contains no additives or chemicals. It meets or exceeds the standards of EPA, FDA, and IBWA.
- Best mineral: Topo Chico Mineral Water . Topo Chico is a legendary mineral water from Mexico that has been enjoyed for centuries. It comes from a natural spring in Monterrey that is rich in minerals and carbonation. Topo Chico has a crisp and refreshing taste that quenches thirst and satisfies cravings. It contains calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, bicarbonate, sulfate, chloride, fluoride, and other trace elements that may benefit your health. Topo Chico has a pH level of 6.4 and contains no additives or chemicals.
- Best alkaline: Essentia Ionized Water