BAKOSURTANAL (now BIG – Geospatial Information Agency) is an Indonesian government agency that provides geospatial information and services. One of the software tools that they offer is a coordinate transformation software that can convert between different coordinate systems, such as Geographical (GCS), UTM, and TM3. This software can be useful for geospatial data processing and mapping purposes.
In this article, we will show you how to download and use this software for coordinate transformation. We will also provide some examples of how to convert coordinates from one system to another using this software.
How to Download the Software
The software can be downloaded from the following link[^1^] [^3^]:
- Click on the link and you will be directed to a Google Drive page.
- Click on the download button at the top right corner of the page.
- Save the file to your computer. The file name is [LapakGIS.com] Software Konverter Koordinat dari Bakosurtanal.rar
- Extract the file using a software like WinRAR or 7-Zip. You will get a folder named Software Konverter Koordinat dari Bakosurtanal.
- Open the folder and you will see two files: Transkoord.exe and Transformasi-Koordinat.exe. These are the main executable files of the software.
How to Use the Software
The software has two modes: interactive and extractive. In interactive mode, you can convert coordinates one by one by entering them manually. In extractive mode, you can convert coordinates in bulk by importing them from a text file. You can also use a separate window for projecting DXF files (a format used by AutoCAD).
In interactive mode, you can choose between three methods of conversion: Geographical (GCS) to UTM, UTM to Geographical (GCS), and TM3 to Geographical (GCS). Here are the steps to use this mode:
- Run the Transformasi-Koordinat.exe file as administrator.
- Select the method of conversion from the drop-down menu at the top left corner of the window.
- Enter the name of the point (for example, 1) in the first column of the table.
- Enter the coordinates of the point in the second and third columns of the table. For GCS, enter the latitude and longitude in degrees, minutes, and seconds format. For UTM, enter the zone number, easting, and northing in meters. For TM3, enter the zone number, X, and Y in meters.
- Select the datum from the drop-down menu at the bottom left corner of the window. The datum is a reference system that defines how coordinates are related to the shape of the Earth. Some common datums are WGS84, DGN95, and Bessel 1841.
- Click on the button that corresponds to your method of conversion. For example, if you want to convert from GCS to UTM, click on ‘Geografis >> UTM’. The converted coordinates will appear in the fourth and fifth columns of the table.
In extractive mode, you can import coordinates from a text file and convert them all at once. The text file must have a specific format that is compatible with the software. You can find an example of this format in the folder where you extracted the software. The file name is Contoh Format Standar.txt. Here are the steps to use this mode:
- Create a text file with your coordinates using the same format as Contoh Format Standar.txt. Save it with a .txt extension.
- Run the Transkoord.exe file as administrator.
- Select your method of conversion from
the drop-down menu at
the top left corner
- Select your datum from
the drop-down menu at
the bottom left corner
- Click on
the Browse button at
the top right corner